Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Home is where the heart is.....



If home is where the heart is then my heart is scattered in different places.

Hola a todos! It has been a week, yesterday, since I returned from Puerto Rico. It honestly seems like time flies quicker each day and at times I wish it would slow down.

First I just want to apologize on being overdue on my updates. There is so much to say that I can’t articulate them into words well, so with that being said I hope this blog makes sense.

Being in Puerto Rico was such a blessing. It was a blessing in a way that I was able to see my friends support me in this endeavor (the Deaf Crusade on Good Friday). It is a blessing that I have built these relationships with these people and know that they support me in this CODA ministry. I have never met people who are SUCH servants. J

So, my friends were coming over to the office to meet me so we could go out to a movie. We were all in the office and I was still working on this HUGE banner for the CODAs to put their handprints on. Sandra and I began to paint it earlier that day but little did we know it would take longer than we thought. I was just going to finish up the banner and work on it the next day. By the time my three friends arrived and without even asking them to help me- they just took some brushes and asked me what they could do. These girls are my sisters in Christ who I cherish (un monton). It astonishes me to think that a year ago, we were all merely strangers and now we are like family. I am blessed immensely just to know these ladies and how they have always had my back. Not only with these ladies but with other people as well I have been incredibly blessed knowing(Dewy)

Returning back to Puerto Rico felt completely normal, it felt as though I have never left and I thought it would be so different. It was cool to be able to hang out with these lovely people and SERVE God. I love these people and somehow, I’m not sure why, but they love me back and that is more than enough. God has truly used these people to show me an immense love that I could never imagine- the cool part is not only did I minister to them, they ministered to me.

By the way when we went to the movies we ended up watching Soul Surfer. That movie is incredible! I recommend it to everyone and their mama (ha ha). My friends and I absolutely loved it and it is a movie you can show to your youth group.

Now to back to Good Friday for the Deaf Crusade, we planned to divide the youth and the children into separate groups. Last year, we didn’t even have a group for the youth so this year I wanted to make sure they had a group to do activities with and learn about the word of God. Little did I know that we had SO MANY toddlers. These toddlers were a handful (whew). There were a total of 30 of us youth and kids. I only had 3 helpers (Jason, Cairis, & Peggy) and they weren’t even enough to watch these kids. I resisted asking the youth to help with the kids but I just trusted in the Lord and asked them. When I asked them to assist, there was no hesitation. They stepped up their game, helped, taught, and played with these kids.

The Lord works in ways that doesn’t make sense to me in the moments when I desire to know what He is doing but as the day progressed the Lord began to bring clarity. I began to actually watch these helpers & the youth girls and the Lord showed me something that just put me in awe. These youth girls, when I first met them, were so timid and hesitant to lend a hand. When the Lord called me to Puerto Rico to work with these CODAs I knew that I needed to focus on these particular girl during the last few months I had on the island. The Lord opened the door for “CODA Girl Retreats”. During these 24 hour retreats, we were challenged to step outside of ourselves, get out of our comfort zones and just serve for GOD.

As I look back and remember the Deaf Crusade, I remember the Lord speaking to me so clearly, “Look at these youth helping, Ezelis, a year ago- they would have never done that. Do you see the fruits of all I have done through you? It was worth it, wasn’t it?” I began to tear up with joy because I knew that God was using me as a tool to bring GLORY to HIS name. I am absolutely floored and amazed by God. HE really did use me and I thought that I wasn’t good enough. Well let me tell you, You ARE GOOD ENOUGH TO BE USED FOR OUR FATHER IN HEAVEN.


some awesome CODAs :)

The kids, youth and helpers had a blast on Good Friday but I promise you we slept so good that night because we were just exhausted after a full day. It was hectic at moments to keep up with these toddlers but it was worth every moment. Every moment was worth it because 30 Deaf made decisions, was saved, gave up their burdens to God. It was a blessing to see 300-350 seats being filled up under that huge tent, and knowing they are being fed the word of God. Praise God for a ministry that seeks these Deaf and their families and show them what REAL life can be like.


Worship on Good Friday

Praise God that He would chose a silly girl from South Carolina to minister, disciple her own kind, a people I understand- CODAs. I am so humble and so blessed that He called me to do this- who else was fit to do this? God had me in mind and prepared my life in such a way that He enable to do His task, to run this race. I loved being able to run race and know that it isn’t over. I would have never dreamed of living on an island for one year and serving my KING. I loved being able to be embraced by these CODAs and these Deaf.

What is God calling you to do? Don’t be afraid but just answer that call. You may not understand now but you will soon see the fruits that reap from the task He has called you to. Know that you are a part of something DIVINE and perfect. God will never let you down, He is faithful and just. I praise God for the opportunity to return to Puerto Rico for a week & 1/2- it wasn’t as long as I would have liked it to been but I know that I will return in HIS time.

God loves you & me. Remember He has sacrificed EVERYTHING just to have a relationship with us. I want to be like that….. I want to love like my GOD and that is some pretty deep love. How amazing is that?!?


how i love these people...

Dios les bendiga!!! Con Abrazos y oxox!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry I took so long to read but it's been a long time since I opened my blog. I just wanted to write that you're really special, and yes, God used you here in Puerto Rico. I'm really proud of you and happy because I got to meet you and your family. I'm glad you came here to work and serve God. I pray that you continue on this race, friend. I know that you can and you're doing it! God is pleased :)

    ReplyDelete