Sunday, April 18, 2010

weekend happenings...

2 Deaf CODAs :o) These girls are signing more- Praise God!


Friday- Cristina, Melody and I went to Old San Juan. This place is so much fun and it is great to go visit if you are willing to get lost! We decided to have a girls day out and it was so much fun. Of course while we got there we faced some challenges such as: full parking garages, people asking us for money, finding our way around, and ONE way streets. Yes, i did go down a one way street (okay maybe twice i did). Our trip overall was so much fun and i am so blessed to hang out with two Christian ladies who i can call mis amigas. We decided to have girl days once in a while- it is so exciting that i get to build friendship here- i love hanging out with friends and God has definitely been answering prayers through these friends i have made :)

Saturday i helped interpret for a couple of Deaf who are on a committee to help establish a Christian Deaf school here in Puerto Rico. It was such a blessing being able to "interpret"- i actually miss being called off to assignments to interpret (which was my previous job before the move to Puerto Rico). I assisted two interpreters that were hired to be at the meeting and they were sweet. It was nice being able to meet actual interpreters here and just observe them. I was their voice interpreter (since they didn't feel that was their strong area). Then, they asked me if i would like to interpret in Sign Language- so i did :) They loved it, after they saw me sign they would ask me for advice and "what's the sign for survey and etc?" I loved being there to help them and to give them feedback.
The efforts of trying to open a Christian Deaf school here has been challenging. I think they have been trying to open this school idea for 15 years. There is so much need- a need for a director, enough money to pay the teachers, and assistant teachers who are willing to volunteer. Even though, i was an "interpreter" i got to step out of my role and be a part of them for a bit. We had to stop the meeting and just pray to see if opening this school was God's will. After our prayers, we all came to the conclusion that God still wants this to happen- so we are proceeding. Pray for the hearts of people to give and support the school. We want these Deaf children to come to school and to learn language- so they will be able to understand God. LANGUAGE AND COMMUNICATION IS SUCH A NEED IN THE ISLAND OF PUERTO RICO. I have met Deaf adults who hardly have a language- we want to give Deaf an opportunity to learn and experience true communication.

Today is Sunday :o) David, Marsha and I went to church. I taught the 2 hearing CODAs while Marsha taught the 2 Deaf CODAs. Our Deaf church meets within a hearing church so we had another little girl join our Sunday school class. I got to talk about Psalm 139 and how God knows everything about them- how God made them in their mother's womb- and how they are so beautiful in God's eyes (and even in mine). Being with Ed and Milly (the 2 hearing CODAs) has really touched me. They were excited to see me today, they kept calling my name, "Ezzy, Ezzy, come play with us." When i first came to Puerto Rico, David and Marsha told me they would be such a challenge and they do not open up to people. They have opened up to me and they talk to me (Milly is so so timid- she hardly talks to anyone). Can you see what God can do? God has broken down the barriers they have set up. These children are really beginning to change and it encourages me so much. We went to McDonald's after church today and they had a ball! I secretly wanted to play in the tubes at the playground but i didn't want to look crazy. But i did it- the kids kept begging me to come anyways. I love it! Continue to pray for Ed and Milly as they begin to break down their walls to open up.

Psalms 139

1 O LORD, You have searched me
and known me.

2 You know my sitting down and my rising up;
You understand my thought afar off.

3 You comprehend my path and my lying down,
And are acquainted with all my ways.

4 For there is not a word on my tongue,
But behold, O LORD, You know it altogether.

5 You have hedged me behind and before,
And laid Your hand upon me.

6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
It is high, I cannot attain it.

7 Where can I go from Your Spirit?
Or where can I flee from Your presence?

8 If I ascend into heaven, You are there;
If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there.

9 If I take the wings of the morning,
And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,

10 Even there Your hand shall lead me,
And Your right hand shall hold me.

11 If I say, “Surely the darkness shall fall on me,”
Even the night shall be light about me;

12 Indeed, the darkness shall not hide from You,
But the night shines as the day;
The darkness and the light are both alike to You.

13 For You formed my inward parts;
You covered me in my mother’s womb.

14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Marvelous are Your works,
And that my soul knows very well.

15 My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.

16 Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
And in Your book they all were written,
The days fashioned for me,
When as yet there were none of them.

17 How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God!
How great is the sum of them!

18 If I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand;
When I awake, I am still with You.

19 Oh, that You would slay the wicked, O God!
Depart from me, therefore, you bloodthirsty men.

20 For they speak against You wickedly;
Your enemies take Your name in vain.

21 Do I not hate them, O LORD, who hate You?
And do I not loathe those who rise up against You?

22 I hate them with perfect hatred;
I count them my enemies.

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart;
Try me, and know my anxieties;

24 And see if there is any wicked way in me,
And lead me in the way everlasting.


Tomorrow- Melody and I are having our "language" class. One hour of total Spanish for me and One hour of total sign language for her. It is going to be good for us because we both really want to be good at each other's languages :o)



Girls day out in Old San Juan :o)

This weekend has been quite eventful and i loved it!
Paz & Gracia

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad those kids are opening up to you! Go head and look crazy. :-)

    <>< Katie

    ReplyDelete