Monday, August 30, 2010

Hurricane SeAsOn

Right now i am at my friend, Cristina's house, having a hurricane "party". Not really a party but just a safe place to stay so i won't have to be alone. I am so blessed that i have people i can call on when i feel unsafe or don't want to be alone during moments like these.
It's been pretty crazy- i've experienced my first earthquake here and am about to experience my first hurricane. It has been an adventure but i trust in God and am so blessed to have people praying. Continue to pray for our island throughout this season of hurricanes- that we trust in Him and prepare for what comes.

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
Psalm 46:1

This week i have had some hard moments of when satan was trying to discourage me, but he didn't. I really learned how to REST in the Lord, even when i'm busy. I got to go to Florida, PR again this past Wednesday. I got to hang out with the CODAs that i have built relationships with and it feels good just to be a part of them now. I am no longer viewed as an outsider but as a friend. I'm no longer that "American missionary", but i am a sister in Christ who loves to love people because God loved me first! It has been a real busy week- church, going to San Juan to pick up ministry things, trading vans/cars to drive, preparing lessons, & etc. God is good and He has really allowed me to build closer relationships with my friends here. I am so blessed to have them! God is so so good!

This past weekend i went to church with my friend Cristina to a gala/birthday party. We had such a BLAST. 15th Birthday parties are a big deal here, it's the United States "Sweet 16". I got to see old faces and new faces. I love seeing how tradition is done here in Puerto Rico.


After hanging out with my "puerto rican" family, i went to the Cayey Deaf Church and taught my two CODA girls at the church. I love teaching these two girls because they really engage in what is being taught to them. I taught them the story of Abraham and Issac and it just amazed them of how much faith Abraham had in God. I am not sure when i'll get to see these girls again- since this past Saturday was the last service we will have in a while due to the teacher is taking a break and catching up on some needed rest. Pray for him as he recovers and God brings strength to his body, so he can start preaching/teaching again. These two girls have really blessed my life- they have so little but SMILE SO MUCH. Their family doesn't even have a bed to sleep on- they sleep on the floor, and it breaks my heart. Pray for them and pray for us to arrange a way to get them a bed. There are so many Deaf families in these mountains who have nothing, basic language, and no way of transportation for church except on the Saturdays the leader, Victor, drives to pick them up in our blue mission van. God bless these families that i have come in contact with and provide their needs.

Cristina (mi amiga) & I

Cayey Deaf Church

Update on the missionaries:
David had surgery this past Friday and all went well. Now he has to rest for 3 weeks being a couch potato. Pray for his healing! Also, pray for Marsha as she takes care of her father-in-law and husband. They are sweet people and i know they miss Puerto Rico.

Continue to pray for us during this Hurricane Earl & we just found out there is another hurricane behind him- Hurricane Fiona. I will keep you all updated!! Blessings and until next time.

Dios les bendiga :)


Video of the Birthday BASH coming soon when the hurricane isn't affecting the internet..

2 comments: