Monday, November 15, 2010

Starlight, Star bright...

Have you ever just laid outside, away from all the city lights and just looked up into the stars? One of my favorite memories when i came to Puerto Rico in 2000 with my parents for my first mission trip. I was at a Deaf camp- my dad was the guest pastor for the week and i was far up into the mountains and i was looking up at the stars. I felt like i could see every single star in the world. That image was sketched into my memory. Every time i would even think of Puerto Rico- i would remember the stars i saw that night, i remembered the little girl i was and how God told me that He had so much in store for me that i would be blown away. That moment was so precious to me, and i longed to experience that again.
We just had another CODA girls retreat this past weekend. It went so amazing and i had about 8 girls in total. We went to a house of a dear friend of mine (well she is really like my Puerto Rican grandmother) to have the retreat. She lives on a farm and it was great to be able to get away from the city to have these 24 hours with the girls. We spend our Friday night starting off with games because these CODAs didn't really know each other too well so we broke the ice. Then we went to a nearby church for a Christmas Drama about the birth of Jesus (yes, i know what you are thinking? already, they celebrate Christmas before Thanksgiving- it is a Puerto Rican thing and i LOVE it). We returned back to Rhoda's house. It was the perfect night- so we laid a blanket in the backyard and looked at the stars. Rhoda told me that every night that week it was so cloudy but this night was the BEST, most clear night she has seen in a while.
Little did i know that 10 years later, i would be on the same island and look up into the stars with my CODA girls. I felt that feeling i had when i was 12 years old (God said, I'm going to put you in awe of what I'M doing in your life- just trust me). I felt such joy and peace. My girls were in awe at God's creation. We laid there, staring into the black blanket sky and saw the lights of Heaven shining down onto us. I felt like i was 12 years old again, and i rememberd that God really did keep His promise of blowing my mind away. I never thought i would be in Puerto Rico, being a missionary to these CODAs and to the Deaf. I never would have dreamed of meeting the people i have met. I never understood why i found Spanish so intriguing. I never understood any of those things- until that night i looked at the stars and i remembered what God told me He was going to do. I had imagined my own life and i like God's version of my life so much better. He put those desires into me so i am able to serve Him here. I have NO doubt that God didn't call me here- He really did bring me here. God thanks for using these stars to bring me hope for what is to come in the future. I am YOURS- I want to be Your star and SHINE for YOU.
* Funny thing was our theme for the 24 hour event was "Shine for the King". How perfect this all tied into our Bible studies throughout the weekend. We had a candle light Bible study outside and for the first time i could see in these CODA's eyes that they understood why i care so much for them. I care for them because God cares for them. They are so special and God has a purpose for their lives. It was incredible because just in those few hours we spent together Friday night, they created such a bond with each other. A bond that will last because they are going to grow up together in the Deaf community. When their parents go to Deaf events these CODA girls are going to have something in common, something to talk about, grow together and encourage each other to hold on to CHRIST when things get rough- and they understood it and it all made sense now.
Matthew 5:13-16
13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled on.

14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.


CODAs :o)

This was one Bible study that i will never forget because God really spoke to us about being sal y luz. "Somos Dos" was our saying for the weekend- we are two (Salt & Light). The rest of our weekend was amazing. We added on a girl who wasn't a CODA but she was passionate about learning Sign Language. Having her a part of our Bible Study was such a blessing. I didn't even know the girl but she kept hugging me and just showed me the LOVE of Christ. These girls need this, need examples of adult teens to show them that living a life for Christ is worth IT. Praise be to God who loves us and shows us how amazing He is.

Pray for us our last event is December 10 & 11. I might invite the boys over to join us- pray that this will work out that we can find a place to have this event at and that new CODAs will come out. God keep doing Your thing, all the GLORY goes to YOU! One thing that put me in awe of these girls was when we were leaving i prayed for them and then one of them said, "Ezzy, Yo quiero orar para ti." She wanted to pray for me and so all the girls gathered around me and a few of them prayed for me (telling God how blessed they were to have me here & etc). I just wanted to cry, i felt so humbled and so honored to be a part of something like this. Thanks God for choosing me to help You reach these girls. They have so much love and they will do great things for YOU. :)


CODA girls & more...


our campsite we made on Friday :o)

I have more great news *drum roll please* the Missionaries, David & Marsha, are back in Puerto Rico. Jason and I drove down last Thursday to fetch them from the airport. They are doing well and are so excited to be back in their house and their island. Pray for their health and for them adjusting back into the ministry. Also, pray for my health- after camping outside Friday night, i woke up on Saturday morning with a sore throat.

Me being the BEST passenger

& Jason being the best driver in the world jaja!


smiling faces on a beautiful island :)

Guess what i got to experience with some friends this past week? A Christmas light up the tree event in the mall near my house. A few of us met up and got to hear Christmas music and experience the "Puerto Rican" way of celebrating Christmas. I love it because i have been excited about Christmas since November came. We had a blast and i am blessed to be able to experience some of the Puerto Rican Christmas traditions.I'll post a video of it soon!

Pray for us, Dios les bendiga y until then oxox!

1 comment:

  1. I love looking at the stars! What also boggles my mind is that the same stars I see here are the same you're seeing there. The same my parents are seeing at home. The same Jennifer's seeing in Korea.

    What did we do (my) freshman year in Monos Felices? In "God is God"... STAR+ PICK (with an 8). God's picked us out among the many people to be His.

    <>< Katie

    ReplyDelete