I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.”
- Psalm 46:10-
I sit here and think- where has time gone?
One week left of my service here as a M.O.S.T missionary to the Deaf and their Children (CODAs).
I remember before coming here- i was so afraid, so nervous, and anxious. I doubted coming to Puerto Rico often. I was telling one of my wonderful friends, Vilmarie, last night about how God really showed me that Puerto Rico was meant to happen. At my Alma matar (Gardner-Webb University), there is a worship service called "The Verge". Even though i have graduated, i came for a couple of these services so i could fellowship. I was struggling so much that day with the decision about going to Puerto Rico- that night i cried out to God during this service, begging Him to show me clearly that Puerto Rico is what He wanted and if so, i would go, no questions, i will follow and obey. Right after i prayed, the band began to play another song. The song that they played was in SPANISH then God hit my heart and said, "Go, here I am making this clear to you, Go my daughter). I was left speechless and in awe of the clarity of God. So i did answered the call and here i am.
I cannot imagine my life if i didn't come here to Puerto Rico. I praise God for that night, for HIS answer to my prayers.
I can NOT begin to tell you how much living here and being a missionary has changed my life.
God has brought me here to impact others for HIM- but not only that, God has used these people to IMPACT my life in ways i would have never imagined.
I have built so many relationships with people here. I have had people pour into me, only coming in expecting me to pour into others. The Lord works in mysterious ways that i cannot even begin to tell you. He has provided for EVERY single need (money, friends, rest, fellowship & etc). A big saying among us here is, "Don't worry, Be happy" and that is exactly what i needed to hear in this year.
It has been your prayers for me and this ministry that have been heard and they have blessed us incredibly. It has been hard these past couple of days, saying "goodbye" to those i have grown close to and who i have gotten to serve along side with. To be honest with you all- i know this isn't my last time on this island. My mission here isn't complete. I am not done here but for the time being i know it is time to go home. I have a job lined up (which only through God that was made possible, i know this for sure), one of my best friends back home will be working at the same place i am so we are looking to be roommates, and i get to spend time with my family who has missed me so much (and i have missed them).
I need your prayers and your support as i seek God for His timing of allowing me to come back and serve on this island once more (for however long He desires). As i return home, i will be speaking to people, churches, and everyone about what God is and has been doing here in Puerto Rico with these CODAs and their families. This experience is JUST TOOO GOOD to be kept to myself- i have to share this with the world. God has touched my heart so deeply for missions and just loving people because HE has FIRST LOVED ME (1 John 4:19). To be taken out to something so comfortable into a world that functions differently has been a life change and it makes me more thankful more. I am SO HUMBLED through what God has done here and that He chooses to use me, a girl with Deaf parents, grew up in a small town, shy & not a huge public speaker and has changed me throughout college by learning how special it is to be a CODA. I learned how precious the Deaf culture is and how ASL is a considered a REAL language. I grew out of being shy by being used in different ministries in college (being a leader). I worked at a children's camp to learn how to be flexible with whatever happens. All of these things lead up to being here in Puerto Rico- being a missionary. God has USED EVERY SINGLE THING to build me up for this year of Puerto Rico so He could use me to touch the lives of these CODAs who didn't believe they were special, they were worth something, that they have something not many people have, and most importantly how MUCH GOD ADORES THEM and WANTS THEM TO ACCEPT & TRUST THEM WITH their own being. Not only do i want these CODAs to see this but with every person i encounter (Deaf or hearing) i want them to SEE how God is SO REAL.
CODAs & friends :)
December 10 & 11 (this past weekend) was our CODA girl retreat. This one was a bit smaller but praise God for what He is doing through these girls. We had a great time of fellowship and worship. Saturday was really amazing because we just had a time of music & worship. I pulled out my guitar and we sang songs- finding out that all of these girls voices blended so beautifully and it was such blessing to be among these girls and to see them worship. Digging into the word was amazing. SE PURA- BE PURE! To live for Christ, we must be pure- that is what we strive for because we want to please our Father in Heaven. Some key verses we dove into was-
Ephesians 5:1-20. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20. Philippians 4:8. Colossians 3:2. 1 Peter 1:15-16.
and there are so much more verses that we read and truly took time to understand them. It was such sweet fellowship and these girls have blessed me. Praise be to God for CODA girls & friends who have the heart to serve along with me.
we had a wonderful surprise around 12:15am- we had a Parranda- Puerto Ricans are known for their unforgettable "parrandas or trullas navideñas". A parranda is when a small group of friends gathers together to "asaltar" or surprise another friend. It's the Puerto Rican version of Christmas caroling.
what a sweet time that has been spent with my friends here in Puerto Rico. The next day on Sunday we went to pick up the Deaf around in that area to meet with them about where to place their new church. The hearing church that the Deaf were under are going through a difficult time. Pray that this Deaf church can find a place to meet and encourage other Deaf in that area to know their Lord and Savior. Currently, they have decided to meet in one of the members homes in Hormigueros. The man's car is broken down but the Deaf in that group are willing to put their money together to help him fix the car so they can relay on him to pick them up each Sunday and carry them to his house. That is a big responsibility, pray for us. While they were worshipping the Lord this Sunday i had my CODA & Deaf class with the children. They will always have such a special place in my heart.
Z and I :)
On Sunday night, a huge surprise happened while i was in the mountains spending the night with two of the most wonderful amigas of mine. These two girls, Val & Vil are super and love God so much. It was wonderful being able to spend time with them and really get to talk deeply about our relationship with God. The whole time i spent with them- they just poured into me. They really humbled me with what they told me about "my being here" and how not only have they seen the impact on the Deaf and CODAs but how i have impacted their lives so deeply. Praise be to God above for His love and blessings.
*Jason, Val, me, Vil & Hector*
While, i was at their house- Jason & a few others (who remain to be unknown) sneaked to the office and decorated my "car". When i arrived Monday afternoon to the office, i could not stop smiling and laughing. Everyone in the office LoVeD this. I am so blessed with people who have just poured love into me- love that is undeserving.
it said, "We <3>
Last night, December 14th was a night of meteor showers. I have never experienced one ever. Last night i ventured over to Jason's house and we both laid on his roof watching the sky. We had so many laughs, deep talks about God and how He puts us in awe. To sit in silence at moments and just think how little we really are. The things in life that we find that pressure us and stress us out are so little- our Father, our God is so big that HE cares for every single thing in our lives- we just have to trust HIM. God has proved Himself to me so many times that i can trust Him and He takes care of me. Are you really trusting God today? Take time tonight to go outside, look up into the sky, ponder the stars and remember to be STILL & know that He is God. I praise God for the time i got to spend with Jason- he is such a huge blessing in my life. God knew i needed someone like him to lean on- thanks be to God for letting me be still and know He is God
.This is the star, this is your heart
This is the day you were born
This is the sun, these are your lungs
This is the day you were born
And I am always, always, always yours
*Hallelujah, I'm caving in
Hallelujah, I'm in love again
Hallelujah, I'm a wretched man
Hallelujah, every breath is a second chance, yeah
- Switchfoot (Always)-
This week has been flying by so quickly. Today, i will be going to a Deaf Church in Florida, PR for a Christmas get together. Pray that the fellowship will be so sweet and that we reflect on Christ and His love for us! I get to spend one last Wednesday with these CODAs until God allows me to come back again. Leaving isn't easy, there is still so much to be done. I just know that it's time to go back home and to share this gift that i have experienced from my Savior. Thank you all for your prayers and support- it makes me humbled and honor to serve our God here on this island. David and Marsha (the missionaries) left for the states yesterday to be with their family for Christmas- pray that the Lord will keep them and renew them to come back to the ministry. It was hard to depart from them yesterday- with many words exchanged of how blessed we are that God has given us this chance to be together and serve- we pray that God will continue to touch many hearts and lead the way of where HE wants me to go in this life.
until then- blessings, Christmas tress, hugs, joy, peace and smiles.
Aww this was beautiful! Thank you so much for your encouraging words!! I'm praying for you and I pray your last few days are the most joyous...that though there may be tears that you have more reasons to smile than you ever imagined possible!
ReplyDeleteI love you :)