Monday, February 22, 2010

Living the dream....

I am finally here- in Puerto Rico.. it all seems like such a dream- but this is so real! here i am living the dream that God had in store for me. God even knew this was going to happen when He created me. I arrived at 7pm on the 20th (Feb) and stayed with the missionaries at their house in Juana Diaz, Puerto Rico.
Sunday morning we went to a church in Hormigueros (which means ants in Spanish- haha.. luckily i didn't get attacked by them). I met 4 CODAS but 2 were Deaf. These 2 Deaf girls hardly have any language so Marsha (one of the missionaries working in Puerto Rico Deaf ministries with her husband David for 25 years) have been working with them. Their language is still way behind- this is one of my goals while i'm here is to work with them and get them to SIGN :)
the other 2 Codas are hearing- one girl her name is super hard to spell and to say but her name starts with an "M". haha, the missionaries told me that she NEVER speaks to anyone except the missionaries, once in a while or with her family.. this girl won't even talk to her teachers. When i met her, i kept talking to her (in Spanish... which is so rusty- pray that my Spanish comes back) and when i told her i was a CODA too.. she started talking to me- PRAISE GOD!! Her brother Eduardo- was sick so he didn't get to hang out us. Hopefully next time i can get to know him. First full day- jumped into ministry.
Sunday morning was great but towards Sunday evening when i went to the grocery store it hit me... i am going to be here for a while.. and that thought scared me, out on my own. But the truth that i came back to was I AM NOT ALONE.. GOD IS WITH ME.
*Isaiah 43:1-4*
But now, thus says the LORD, who created you, O Jacob,
And He who formed you, O Israel:
“ Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by your name;
You are Mine.
2 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you.
When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned,
Nor shall the flame scorch you.
3 For I am the LORD your God,
The Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
I gave Egypt for your ransom,
Ethiopia and Seba in your place.
4 Since you were precious in My sight,
You have been honored,
And I have loved you;
Therefore I will give men for you,
And people for your life.
amen!
Today- i moved into the place i'll be living which is in an office/house. They have rooms in the back where people stay when they do mission work here- and so i moved it and took over the room (they told me to haha). I felt such peace today and unpacked all my things. Went on a walk at the boat pier and saw God's amazing creation. Marsha and i took a walk at the park/boat pier and we saw a salsa exercise class outside and they do it every week... i might join the class to get in and make some new amigos & amgias- it seems like so much fun. God has so much in store and i just have to trust HIM in knowing HE knows what He has brought me here for. Let all the glory be for YOU Father!
Paz y Amor <3 (peace and love)

4 comments:

  1. So good to get an update so soon! Now my prayers can be more detailed! Times will be challenging and you will get homesick but hold tight to your Heavenly father's hand because he loves you and cares for you so much and most of all he's so thrilled to see you living your life out for Him. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh ezelis! I love hearing how already God is using you to bring Him glory and minister to the KODAs of PR!!! such excitement in my heart!!! i love you and am praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya'll are so amazing, thanks for your encouragment and prayers!
    Heather- thank you for the reminder of Him holding my hand :) You are awesome!!!! love u and miss you- hugs!
    Brit- i can't wait to skype on Monday hoorah!! miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ezelis, it's great to hear you arrived safely and are enjoying your time in Puerto Rico. The realization that you're going to be somewhere for a long time is a hard one to stomach. I'm sorry you had to do it in a grocery store. :-) What a marvelous opportunity God has given you to talk to the hearing CODA who rarely talks to anyone! Bueno suerte con el espanol.
    Te quiero,
    <>< Katie

    ReplyDelete