 |
| Sandra, Amy Sue & I |
Happy Monday- It has been one week since I have been on this island and every moment has been amazing.
First, I want to mention how blessed I am to have such an amazing assistant- Sandra- to be by my side as we go and share the love of Jesus. We both realized in this week that living a missionary life isn't always the easiest because it requires sacrifice but it is worth it. Even when we have the mind set to come and serve- we end up being served back. It is a beautiful picture of God's love. This week with planning for our upcoming retreat this weekend- we made a trip to Arecibo to make contacts with the Deaf and CODAs.

It is fun traveling from the Caribbean Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean in one day. I loved getting to stay with the best missionary host- Rhoda & Tony. These two have not been only a blessing to me, but to many others from around the world. Their home is like a "Bed & Breakfast" for missionaries and I think it is a great ministry. I have known this couple since 2000 and they never cease to amaze me with their gracious hearts. While Sandra and I stayed with them, we met several missionaries from Missouri- little did i know that i would meet a girl who lived in Spartanburg, SC for college. We all became good friends and had the opportunity to share what were on our hearts.
 |
| Love Birds- Rhoda & Tony |
While staying in Arecibo, we were able to attend an interpreter/Deaf leadership workshop in La Bautista la Fe. It was such a joy to be able to serve and to participate in supporting the needs for the Deaf on the island. There is an organization here for Christian interpreters who really desire to advocate the Deaf. We had skits, food, and plenty of fellowship. It was great to meet a few young Deaf and CODAs at this event. Also, it was wonderful to meet old and new faces. One lady was so excited to meet me because she watched a few of my "YouTube" videos (I felt honored). Be praying for the Deaf as they continue to fight for their rights of having an interpreter in Puerto Rico. The need is GREAT but there are a few resources for the Deaf to have a right to an interpreter.
Yesterday, We had Deaf Sunday School and we had a worship service with the hearing. A hearing pastor from Missouri was the guest speaker- we had three languages happening in one service: Pastor was speaking in English, with a translator in Spanish, and I was interpreting in Puerto Rican Sign Language. It was such a blessing to be able to serve in that way. The sermon was about "The Prodigal Son" from Luke 15. Each time, when I hear the part about the father running up to his son to embrace him- tears come to my eyes.
 |
| "I tell you, in the same way, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over 99 righteous people who don't need repentance." Luke 15:7 |
 |
"I tell you, in the same way, there is joy in the presence of God's angels over one sinner who repents."
Luke 15:10 |
 |
Signing a Song- Rhoda!
|
It was such a beautiful service. People coming to the Lord. Running into their Heavenly Father's arms and laying down their burdens. What a lovely picture of grace, of being free. There was this one guy who came up to the front, he looked so sad, and burdened. When he finished praying, spoke with the pastor, he turned around and his face was full of JOY. He could not stop smiling and he was full of light. That is life change and it is real. Life will not be easy, but with Christ on our side- we can endure all things through HIM who gives us strength. We do not have to walk through these trials alone... God is with us and He has given us a body of believers for us to encourage one another.
 |
| Missionary friends from MO. Oak Grove Church |
 |
The first night at Rhoda's house, we blew up an air mattress for Sandra and I.
When I woke up- i realized Sandra had abandoned the mattress for the couch because the air mattress had a hole in it.
Little did I know, i woke up and felt like a hot dog. I woke up laughing so loud that the other missionaries were laughing too. What a funny memory.
Prayer Request
* For the CODA Retreat this weekend (June 28-30). That these students will open up their hearts.
* Preparation for the Bible lessons that will be taught- It has been tough to focus on getting those finished.
*David and Marsha Mitchell (The missionaries who are in the states, getting medical attention.)
*My Family as they fight through trials back home.
*For those yesterday who were saved-- 4 Deaf came down to lay down their burdens.
* For SLEEP- I haven't been sleeping well, maybe it is because of all the excitement around me, but pray i can get some good shut eye during the night.
I hope you all have a wonderful day! Thank you for taking your time to read this blog. If you feel lead to support this CODA/Deaf ministry- you can pray, send money support (for gas/food/retreat supplies and etc) and/or send me letters :)
Ezelis Sistrunk
Puerto Rico Deaf Ministries
PO Box 7423
Ponce, Puerto Rico 00732-7423
*If you would like to send money support just write on the check
"Puerto Rico Deaf Ministries"
in the memo write- "Ezelis Sistrunk- CODA Ministry"
(You can use your donations toward Tax Deductions)
until next time...... Abrazos y sonrisas :)
|
You truly are a sunshine...I love you ...
ReplyDeleteNannie..